[SEL] Bronze main bearing

Jack Watson nadejack at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 2 19:10:51 PDT 2008

===
There is a technique known as "upsetting", used to be well known and
practised by the gentlemen of the Blacksmithing Guild. Basically, it
consists of rendering a metal object thicker by pressing or hitting it
on one end.

I have used this in extremis to make a bush "fatter" (albeit slightly
shorter) to reduce its internal diameter slightly. If the shortening is
critical, shims may be applied.

Technique requires turning up a couple of mandrels and a sleeve to keep
the whole plot in alignment, and giving it a calibrated bash on the
sleeve on one end, against a shoulder on the inner mandrel.

Sounds brutal, and is probably best suited to Land Rovers and BSAs.

JW²
===