[SEL] O.T. IHC Truck question

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Mar 20 12:09:02 PDT 2008

At 06:00 PM 20/03/2008, you wrote:
>Message: 4
>Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:57:11 -0500
>From: "Elden DuRand" <edurand at mchsi.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] O.T. IHC Truck question
>To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>Jerry:
>Wow!  I had a truck almost identical to that one.  Mine was a T100 and had
>the Silver Diamond 220 engine and the first-year Warner automatic tranny.
>
>The truck was given to me to get it out of the way.  I rebuilt the engine,
>replaced the king pins and brakes and used it for about ten years to haul
>firewood.  It was pretty beat-up when I got it and even more beat up when
>I sold it for $500, still running fine.  I think I cleared about $300 over
>my cost.
>
>One thing I remember clearly was that since this was the first year for
>the automatic, there as an instruction decal on the dash.  The decal read:
>"AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.  To go forward, step on the accelerator.  To
>stop, step on the brake."
>
>Take care - Elden

Hi Elden,
         Thanks for the reply. Interesting about the decal - but on a new
(revolutionary) thing like "automatic transmission" in those days it was
probably very necessary. Imagine "Billy Bob" and his brother "Billy Bob"
fighting about which pedal to step on !

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm