[SEL] A topic for discussion.......How to promote a show.

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Tue Jun 17 07:02:38 PDT 2008

Guys and gals,
Here is a topic for discussion. How do clubs promote their shows to get
maximum show displays and to get maximum spectator traffic?

As fuel prices go higher the hobby is certainly going to feel the pinch
with smaller display and spectator turnouts. No doubt these fuel prices
are here to stay, so a club has to stir the interest really well to get
people back out the show grounds. It's going to require a strong effort by
clubs to get these results.

It would be great to hear what clubs are doing to promote their shows.
-What efforts in advance of the show? publications, fliers, TV, radio, cable?
-What efforts the days of the show? TV, cable, local radio?
-What efforts draw local displays?
-What efforts draw far away displays?
-What efforts draw spectators vs. displays.
-Other unique ways to get folks to the show grounds.

It would be great to get lots of discussion on this. I'd like to summarize
the comments and read them at our next Cotton Ginning Days Club meeting in
July. We have about 25,000 spectators and 300 displayers come to our show
every year, so it is of paramount importance to keep the displays coming!
Post and post often!

Thanks,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC