[SEL] OT. Grinder wiring

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Jun 11 18:59:25 PDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 4:40 PM, rdhaskell at juno.com wrote:

> Hi all.  I recently picked up a Baldor grinder about 3/4 hp.  I say
> about
> because the tag is missing.  It is wired now for 220V.  It has six
> wires
> coming out of the motor, two to capacitors, #1&4 to the plug, and
> 2&3 are
> wired together.  What combination do I need to run it on 110V?  I
> don't
> think the two on the capacitor need to be changed as they are not
> numbered.  Thanks.

Hi Ron,
I don't work with single phase stuff, but three phase is standardized
with a particular manner of numbering the wires.  If the logic is the
same, then 1 and 2 should go together, as should 3 and 4.

If you want to do a preliminary test, you should read continuity
between 1 and 3, and between 2 and 4.  If that is the case, hook it up
as I suggested.

Rob