[SEL] Cores for coils

Orrin B Iseminger obise at moscow.com
Thu Jul 17 11:49:10 PDT 2008

If I were to wind a low tension coil, I'd use ordinary black iron wire.
There is a trick that will make it arrow-straight: Roll out a considerable
length, then stretch it a bit.  It should be a simple matter to set up a
shear to cut it to uniform length.  (I would use a shear, not a
"pincers-type" of cutter.  A pincers leaves a sharp, ragged edge.

If you don't want to make a "showy" low tension coil, use the E-core out of
a small transformer.  A Thorardson coil of mine has an E-core in it.  The
whole works is potted in a metal can.  It was originally potted in asphalt;
but, wanting to avoid the mess I used wax when I re-built it.

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA
http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/menu.htm
So many projects.  So little time.