[SEL] Didn't want to sell

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Wed Jan 23 13:30:30 PST 2008

I have a story with a slightly different slant.  One of my acquaintances was
always bragging about how well off he was.  He would go to auctions and say
loud enough for everyone in the township to hear, "We'll see who has the
biggest checkbook, today!"

Well, he took a liking to one of my engines and was always trying to buy it
from me.  Since it was one of my favorites, I wouldn't consider selling.

One day when he had a fair sized audience he loudly proclaimed, "Orrin, I'll
give you THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS for that engine!"  That was about six times
what it was worth.  I figured he was just blowing smoke.

By that time he probably had me figured for turning down that amount.
Furthermore, I didn't want to embarrass the guy by saying "Yes."  But, it
would have been fun listening to him sputter and back-pedal if I had.  :-)

I'll never know for sure if Bob would have stood behind his offer; he's
pushing up daisies, now.

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA