[SEL] OT Willys Overland project.

JR504 at aol.com JR504 at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 18:27:42 PST 2008

Cummins makes the 4BT, an inline 4 cylinder with a turbo.   (a  3.9L I
believe) It can be had with an adapter plate to fit nearly any trans  because it was
used by every truck manufacturer.  They were most common in  those boxy
bread-van style delivery truck(very common in the US anyway).   I've got a friend
that has put two of them in different full sized  Chevies.  His '64 4X4 gets
35-38 MPG on the highway, and has plenty of  torque if he needs to tow
something.  The down sides are  weight....very heavy for a 4 cylinder, kinda tall
too-need a slight body lift  for the trans to clear the firewall, and the vibration
is pretty  significant. High quality motor mounts are a must.  Plenty of
noise is  a given.  I'd love to build one some day, as I'm a die-hard Cummins  fan.

Joe Rappa
Mexico, NY

Alan,
That hemi would have lit the tires up real sweet for a few  seconds. At
least until the axles let go! The original engines were about  73 HP.
Poor old drive train didn't stand a chance with the hemi!
Fellow  here in town has one with the 350 Chevy in it with the original
5.33:1(?)  rear end in it . It still only goes about 55 tops. But it gets
there  faster than about anything else in town!
I'm big on originality, but I've  been told that Cummins makes a 4
cylinder diesel that would get about 50  mpg in this vehicle. Very
tempting......
Probably has more HP that the  original engine too. Can't be any noisier!
Curt

Alan Bowen  wrote:

"You don't  build a reputation on what you're going to do"
Henry  Ford