[SEL] OT, completely: Hydrogen as a fuel for personal autos

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Mon Jan 14 13:57:52 PST 2008

Orrin:

I must be a bit ahead of the curve.  In 1978, I put a 154 Cubic inch Perkins Diesel in a 1950 Chevy sedan and, after adding a turbo and overdrive, I once got 44mpg with it.  Usually, I got between 36 and 40 mpg depending on how I drove it.

Now, we have a VW Jetta TDI and it regularly gets 44 mpg.  Once, it got almost 48 mpg.  I could live with about half the power in that little wagon and get a LOT better mileage.

I think you're right.  Our pols have their heads stuffed right there where the sun don't shine and are pandering to the gas guzzlers.

Take care - Elden