[SEL] Totally off topic-just a "rant"

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Jan 11 11:17:04 PST 2008

Hi Guys,
         This is a really off topic post but what the heck.

         I've had a really s___t week and just feel like spreading the load
amongst my mates.

         I live in an area of South Africa prone to very heavy electrical
thunderstorms and do have all the necessary "lightning protectors" etc.
installed on my house, computers and such but in the last 2 weeks we have
had 2 thunderstorms here, the like of which I've not experienced since
moving here in 1969. (Can I blame this on America - climate change and the
like ??) :-)

         The first was at 12:15 one morning about 2 weeks ago. It knocked
out my telephone lines, my cordless telephone as well as the "lightning
protector" it was connected through, woke me up, scared the hell out of my
pets (dogs & cats) and me as well. Remember that this is an area prone to
heavy storms and I'm used to them but this one was just too close for comfort.

         The next one was at 5.20 last Saturday morning when we scored a
"direct hit". It woke me up and my first recollection was of this orange
fireball in my garden - it slowly faded away and I went and changed my
shorts :-).  This one lasted for about an hour.

         It knocked out my main computer (also connected through all the
necessary protection) as well as burst a few underground water pipes (I
dunno how), broke some windowpanes and took my telephone connections out
completely. (The Lord alone knows why it did not take out my electricity as
well)

         This computer is the one that I do all my business on so I've had
a pretty stressful week trying to get this fixed. Fortunately all my data
is still intact and I do have backups but my business revolves around this
machine and finances preclude me from just going out and building a new
machine so I had to "fix" this one. I'm sure that many of you do know that
it's easier to just get a new machine but my whole business is configured
around his one. (Pentium 4 - 2 Gig)

         Anyway - buy a new motherboard, processor and memory and try to
get it sorted out using all my existing HD drives, DVD writer, CD Writer,
video capture card and additional I/O cards.

         HAH !  Get it working only to find that my monitor does not speak
to the new motherboard, - sort that out but the new motherboard also does
not have a parallel port ( it has the connection but does not have the
actual "plug in socket" (everything is USB these days but my signmaking
plotter only works on parallel - no USB). Back to the supplier (60 miles
round trip) for the parts.
Get some totally useless advice from their salesman that could have caused
my hard drive to crash had I followed it (with my "Data Recovery"
background I do know a bit about hard drives!).

         That's where I was an hour ago - 8.00 pm Friday night after having
wasted a whole week and got next to nothing done.

         Decision to be made - what next ?

         Answer - Pour a "Brandy & Coke" - write a totally irrelevant
letter to the guys on the SEL and leave the damn computer for tomorrow - so
this is that letter :-) ( and I feel better for it - thanks Guys - or maybe
it's the other "B&C's" I've poured since starting this post !).

Keep well,
Jerry

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans