[SEL] On Topic IHC Famous Engine

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Jan 10 19:18:24 PST 2008

Years ago (late 70's) I repaired a worn brass rod bearing with a piece
of 2 inch brass pipe nipple I got at a scrap yard for something like
$4.  I turned the inside of the bearing until it was round, turned the
outside of the nipple until it fit then soldered it in place.  I cut it
to width and then split it, put some shims in it then chucked it back in
the lathe and turned the interior to fit the crank.  I ran the engine
for several years at shows and at home.  Never had a problem and never
had to tighten the bearing.  On another brass bearing I sanded the
interior of the bearing surface good, tinned it, then sat a piece of
cold rolled in the center leaving about 1/4 inch between it and the
bearing.  I had put shims in it out of some gasket material and had them
long enough they touched the cold rolled.  I then poured it full of
babbitt.  I chucked it in the lathe and cut the babbitt out to fit the
crank.  I ran this engine at many shows and never had a problem.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY