[SEL] babbitt grades

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Wed Jan 9 00:43:10 PST 2008

>> I do not trust the old bearing materials- I use new stuff and save the
>> melted out stuff for casting into cart wheels to make bearings. If I
>> am going to all the trouble, then why not do the best I can......
>> Paul
>
> Boy Paul I sure agree with you on this. That old crap only lasted for
> 80-100 years. The new stuff is a LOT better!
> Dave

Settle down Oh Evil one.
The old metal I referred to is unknown and I would bet my left nut NOT
original in this case.
I guess some of us try to slightly out do our forbears because of modern
technology when it might not be necessary, but I hate having to do an engine
twice.
I could probably use straight lead, because the amount of use this engine
will get would not make the slightest difference, but I will not.
I do value all technical input from the Lists and make my decision
accordingly.
I sometimes seem to answer a question with a question, my prerogative, but
sometimes we just like conformation from our peers to reinforce what we
probably already know or think, just to make sure.

My question this time brought out some lurkers and occasional posters and I
appreciate this very much.
Thanks to all who replied now and in advance for future responses.

Regards
Peter Lowe
R&V Engine Registrar
Australia