[SEL] On Topic IHC Famous Engine

MBellar at aol.com MBellar at aol.com
Mon Jan 7 16:08:43 PST 2008

In a message dated 1/6/2008 8:14:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jthall at worldnet.att.net writes:

There  have been a couple of these in GEM over the last few years. One of
them  was a rather well written restoration account.

Unfortunatley, John  Hamnik (spelling?) is no longer with us. He was quite
knowledgable on  these. He pointed out that mine (1905) was a stationary
engine and used  user supplied gas and cooling tanks, and I believe
muffler/exhaust  plumbing also. Of course the local loudmouths tried to tell
me otherwise  but then again they only looked at pictures in the BYB and
became instant  experts. Same story with my 4hp.

Don Oberholtzer (spelling?) supplied  me with reproduction fuel pump, check
valves, mixer, and muffler. I don't  know how knowledgable he is about your
engine, but he can probably point  you to someone who is. Try this link
hometown.aol.com/agee1/

One  thing I did notice about mine is the part numbers cast into various
parts  are done so very poorly. When trying to properly identify something I
would have to make 2-3 guesses as to what the part number was.

John  Hall

John;

Thank you for the reply to my message. I have been in contact with Don
Oberholtzer and he is going to rebuild my igniter and water pump. I have the GEM
articles you mentioned.

It was usually mild today (70's) so I got the etching primer on my  engine.
(Shade tree painter no heated shop) It looks good even if it is  only primer
green.

Tom Bellar SW Ohio where it was +10 deg. F last week and + 72  today