[SEL] On Topic IHC Famous Engine

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 6 05:08:10 PST 2008

There have been a couple of these in GEM over the last few years. One of
them was a rather well written restoration account.

 Unfortunatley, John Hamnik (spelling?) is no longer with us. He was quite
knowledgable on these. He pointed out that mine (1905) was a stationary
engine and used user supplied gas and cooling tanks, and I believe
muffler/exhaust plumbing also. Of course the local loudmouths tried to tell
me otherwise but then again they only looked at pictures in the BYB and
became instant experts. Same story with my 4hp.

 Don Oberholtzer (spelling?) supplied me with reproduction fuel pump, check
valves, mixer, and muffler. I don't know how knowledgable he is about your
engine, but he can probably point you to someone who is. Try this link
hometown.aol.com/agee1/

 One thing I did notice about mine is the part numbers cast into various
parts are done so very poorly. When trying to properly identify something I
would have to make 2-3 guesses as to what the part number was.

John Hall