[SEL] Sticking lead to cast iron

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Wed Feb 27 23:29:23 PST 2008

Richard ...a little more to help you.
A coppering solution...............
To four ounces of distilled water add Copper Sulphate  [ Blue Vitriol]. I am
sorry but my recipe does not say how much ,you may have to experiment. Add
10 drops of Sulphuric Acid.Wipe the solution on to a grease free surface ,
[the cast iron].If you do not get a bright copper surface scour the surface
with fine emery and add four or five more drops of the solution. You should
then have a good surface to tin for your solder application to the cast
iron.
This recipe is one of many  from a very old Machinists Book .It's prime
purpose was to provide a easily seen surface when marking out.