[SEL] Register Opinion

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Sat Feb 2 15:05:21 PST 2008

Just to chime in on this subject...

Registries are great, but of limited value if data is withheld.  For
instance, if Stickney number 2627 was a five horse and still exists,
who cares?  But if 2627 is a five horse and owned by Denis, then
another owner of a five has a valuable resource in the event he needs
to compare engine characteristics.

I'm skeptical of the belief that there are gangs of rogue thieves
roaming the countryside, examining engine registries in order to plan
their next heist.

Here's the start of a really nice engine registry.  Each entry has a
thumbnail picture, the owner, contact information, and a link to more
information on each engine.  I say "start," because I KNOW that this
bloke has ten times the information seen here, but the hottie who does
his web authoring is VERY difficult to motivate.

Note to keeper of this registry:  buy her some shiny baubles so we can
see more data.

Rob <Last Name Withheld Out Of Fear Of Thieves>