[SEL] OT R-10 Borg Warner overdrive.

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Dec 29 17:02:07 PST 2008

curt at rustyiron.com wrote:
> Off topic, but hopefully a few mechanics out there can confirm something
> for me.
> Working on the Willis transmissions. There is a 3 speed T-96 standard
> transmission with the Borg Warner 2 speed R10 electric operated
> transmission on the back. I've got it all back together and am shifting it
> and checking out the OD functions on the bench.
> With the OD solenoid activated I am seeing that the freewheeling action is
> disabled AND I am seeing that the output shaft won't rotate in the
> backward direction. Does this all sound correct?
>
> Freewheeling works with the solenoid off in all 3 forward gears. Since the
> OD tranny's purpose is to promote fuel economy, I expected freewheeling in
> the OD mode as well. Imagine my surprise. So that's why I'm checking to
> see if anyone knows.
>
> The lack of rolling backwards was a bit of a surprise too. The books all
> tell you that if the pawl hangs up and won't release the OD, you'll not be
> able to get the vehicle in reverse, nor will you be able to roll it
> backwards. With a little additional wiring, one could configure the
> vehicle to be self holding on steep hills for inexperienced clutch
> users/drivers.
>
> Thanks for any guidance anyone has.
> Curt Holland

I've got one someplace in the back of the shop. I think it's on a
Saginaw 3 speed.
I seem to remember it did the same thing out of the vehicle but it's
been a LONG time since I played with it.

Here are a couple items you might want to look at.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/borg-warner-r10-overdrives-59428-2.html
http://www.hydratech.com/pctc/Public_Documents/bwwiring.pdf.

--
Steve W.