[SEL] OT R-10 Borg Warner overdrive.

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Mon Dec 29 15:00:03 PST 2008

Off topic, but hopefully a few mechanics out there can confirm something
for me.
Working on the Willis transmissions. There is a 3 speed T-96 standard
transmission with the Borg Warner 2 speed R10 electric operated
transmission on the back. I've got it all back together and am shifting it
and checking out the OD functions on the bench.
With the OD solenoid activated I am seeing that the freewheeling action is
disabled AND I am seeing that the output shaft won't rotate in the
backward direction. Does this all sound correct?

Freewheeling works with the solenoid off in all 3 forward gears. Since the
OD tranny's purpose is to promote fuel economy, I expected freewheeling in
the OD mode as well. Imagine my surprise. So that's why I'm checking to
see if anyone knows.

The lack of rolling backwards was a bit of a surprise too. The books all
tell you that if the pawl hangs up and won't release the OD, you'll not be
able to get the vehicle in reverse, nor will you be able to roll it
backwards. With a little additional wiring, one could configure the
vehicle to be self holding on steep hills for inexperienced clutch
users/drivers.

Thanks for any guidance anyone has.
Curt Holland