[SEL] What kind of truck? Gas or Diesel

Tony & Jackie kimmell at verizon.net
Sun Dec 21 17:59:22 PST 2008

There's still plenty of interest in it over here in the US.  The
problem is that we don't have as many diesel powered cars over
here.  I had a friend who used to have a bio making setup a few years
ago.  He had an old diesel Mercedes that he ran with it.  According
to him the engines run better on bio and it has more lubricity than
regular diesel, which is better for the injection pump.  If I
remember right, his cost worked out to be about 60 cents per gallon
once you factor in the cost of methanol and lye for the conversion
process.  He worked with a company where he could buy the chemicals
in bulk for alot cheaper.

I filled my old diesel VW Rabbit up with his fuel a few times and it
did seem to run better.  Exhaust smells like a deep fryer!  Although
the stuff does wax over a lot easier in cold weather, so you have to
be generous with the fuel treatment.

-Tony