[SEL] What kind of truck? Gas or Diesel

Alan rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 12:49:01 PST 2008

Just 200,000 miles?
It is just nicely broke in.

Alan in Michigan

--- On Fri, 12/19/08, Judge Tommy Turner <Lcjudge at scrtc.com> wrote:

From: Judge Tommy Turner <Lcjudge at scrtc.com>
Subject: [SEL] What kind of truck?  Gas or Diesel
To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com
Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 10:11 PM

OK everyone, I'm consulting the most knowledgeable people I know on this.... in the mean time I'll ask all of you..... don't get worked up, just kidding.

My '99 Dodge Ram Pickup has turned over 200,000 miles and its time to get another.  I can't decide to stick with a diesel (the last 3 trucks have had Cummins engines) or go the gas route.  I like the power of a diesel.  I don't like paying $5000 more for a diesel engine though and paying around 50% more at the pump for diesel vs. gas although I know there will be a 30 to 40% gain on MPG on the diesel.

I've found a truck that's exactly what I'm looking for, its a year old, 9000 miles and has all the equipment I desire.  Its a Dodge with a 5.7 Hemi gas engine rather than a diesel.  Do any of you have a truck with the 5.7 in it?  Just curious what kind of fuel mileage it will get, is it a fairly powerful engine, etc?

Please give me your thoughts.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY