[SEL] OT////// AM transmitter - now homebuilding

Tim Christoff tchristoff at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 19:18:28 PST 2008

Tim Christoff
Basehor Kansas

They seem to come back out very well as long as the head isn't packed with
dirt.  Pretty pricy though.

> Previously in the US, deck screws used a "combo" head, square drive
> superimposed on Phillips. Gave a lot of engagement for the matching
> driver, really worked well, but the T25 seems slightly better.

The square drives are great as long as you use just a square tip, that
combo tip is still too much like a phillips bit and will still start
stripping them out after the first 100 or so.

> Cement board screws here have square drive, and it's real easy to
> strip the square out to round, especially with the super-hard old pine
> studs + joists in our old house. Worst is square drive in some stainless
> screws we tried to use. The stainless is too soft, stripped out many
heads.

There is one stainless screw out there (don't know the name) but I never
could strip one.  One of my customers had gotten ahold of a 50lb box of
them and I never could find them after that.

> Deck screws, at least in the US, have a very special coating, since the
> enviro-crazies got the normal green pressure treated timber banned.

Might want to check out the patten office on that one.  Seems like just
when CCA was determined bad for the enviroment, 3M's process patten ran
out.  Thats when they came out with ACQ and yes, that stuff will eat
through damn near anything.

> The replacement is also green, but is about 4 times more corrosive
> to fasteners than the old stuff. (Manufacturer's statement, not mine!)
>
> We built a scaffold last year from pressure treated + 1/2" chromated
bolts.
> Had it up for 2 weeks before dismantling it, and the bolts look like
> battery terminals.

You should see what it does to a triple dip post mount after 2 months.