[SEL] OT////// AM transmitter - now homebuilding

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Fri Dec 19 18:08:35 PST 2008

New deck screws are coming thru in the US with T25 Torx heads.
Gives a real positive drive, but don't know how they'd be to remove
after a few years exposure.

Previously in the US, deck screws used a "combo" head, square drive
superimposed on Phillips. Gave a lot of engagement for the matching
driver, really worked well, but the T25 seems slightly better.

Cement board screws here have square drive, and it's real easy to
strip the square out to round, especially with the super-hard old pine
studs + joists in our old house. Worst is square drive in some stainless
screws we tried to use. The stainless is too soft, stripped out many heads.

Deck screws, at least in the US, have a very special coating, since the
enviro-crazies got the normal green pressure treated timber banned.
The replacement is also green, but is about 4 times more corrosive
to fasteners than the old stuff. (Manufacturer's statement, not mine!)

We built a scaffold last year from pressure treated + 1/2" chromated bolts.
Had it up for 2 weeks before dismantling it, and the bolts look like
battery terminals.

In areas subject to shear loads, I use a combination of nails + deck screws,
the screws prevent pull-out, and the nails handle the shear.

Dave Merchant