[SEL] Japanese engines

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Mon Dec 15 22:21:09 PST 2008

On Dec 15, 2008, at 8:46 PM, William Young wrote:

> Erman-san,  When I first read your email, I was sure that you missed
> the translation of your friend's dactylog or that the engine he
> referred to was an import.  I have an Isami and it is NOT  hit and
> miss.  I sent email to both Wakahara-san and Morishita-san, the
> latterbeing the Japanese counterpart of our Wendel, asking if there
> had been any H & M engines made in Japan.  I have been under the
> impression there had  not been.  I am still waiting for response
> from Morishita-san, but have heard from Waka as follows:

Wakai-san,
I really enjoy seeing pictures and videos of the Japanese engine
shows.  What strikes me are the subtle features, superior to Western
built engines, such as enclosed crankcases and superior lubrication
systems.

What I've never seen, however, are early Japanese engines. In the
early 1900s, Japan lagged the U.S. in industrialization by only a few
years.  Surely they must have built a few engines by that time.

ロブ毛皮商人