[SEL] Japanese Engine meets

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Fri Dec 12 02:38:30 PST 2008

Hi Bill
It was me that posted the Japanese engine shows from links that Wakahara-san sent me. He has a nice R&V engine as well as other nice stuff.
Some of the pages are memory hungry, large files but you can get lost in these sites for hours, great shots of collections in another country.
This is good viewing for you Yanks when cabin fever sets in.

http://www.geocities.jp/jh1ubk/hatudouki/suisyounoyu3.html

http://www.geocities.jp/jh1ubk/hatudouki/hatudouki.html

http://jh1ubk.my.coocan.jp/18/nagano1.html

http://jh1ubk.my.coocan.jp/

http://www.geocities.jp/jh1ubk/hatudouki/suisyounoyu.html

Thank goodness for Google translater ;-))
石油発動機    Oil Engine

Peter, Australia

Hi Guys, Bill Young ( in Japan ) here.
Just out of curiosity, I opened the SPAM file and found a bunch of your items about Japanese engines and shows. As I read each one of them, unbeknown-st to me, it got deleted. If anyone saved a list of those sites, I would appreciate receiving -- off line OK. wmyoung at juno.ocn.ne.jp
Yes, things are done differently here. Insurance schemes and safety practices are unknown. I have yet to see a Japanese engine mounted on a cart. I have never seen an open crank engine, ditto hit 'n miss. EK magnetos were copied and produced locally, some exact copies, some with variations -- the iol hole for example or a single hefty magnet.
There are different clubs, many of which have their own banners and members wear club overalls or t-shirts. If there are club news letters, I don't know about them -- nor could I read one if it were in my hand right now.
On the other hand, how many of you lads have seen a western 4 cycle engine with both intake and exhaust valves operated by one push rod?
By the way, I live alone and have a couple extra futons. Wanna stop by for a while and have a look see? The welcome mat is always out. Arnie has been promising for years, but always too busy chasing those atoms, isotopes and bucks. ( Arnie-san, is that all you chase?)
If you don't already know Wakahara-san, you probably will, sooner or later. He is making and selling a battery operated engine starter. He has mounted a hefty truck starter motor on a pogo-stick-like contraption, pushes it next to a flywheel, energizes and spins up the engine. No fuss, no muss, no bother.
Mind the RPMs, Keep in touch, Bill