[SEL] The Sweeney Locomotive Exhaust Nozzle

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Fri Dec 12 00:47:18 PST 2008

Union Pacific.

Still a major player, and has had a great steam excursion program
with some awesome engines for many years.

Since they deal with long distances and several major grades (banks),
they have long been involved in huge high horsepower locomotives,
including the three cylinder 4-12-2's, 4-6-6-4 Challenger, 4-8-8-4 Big Boy,
and awesome big 4-8-4 Northerns for passenger trains.

Then a series of huge gas turbines, then the GM DD series and Alco
equivalent diesels, with essentially 2 locos mounted on one long frame,
on either 4 span bolster trucks or huge 4 axle trucks.

They've now settled on lining up long strings of the highest horsepower
diesels the builders have to offer.

Absorbed ailing Southern Pacific + its subsidiaries a few years ago.

We see a lot of their power on run-throughs in the eastern US,
as we live near the old NYC main line (CSX), used to go watch the
20th Century Limited fly through.  If a loco is clean, UP still owns it,
since they sell slightly used engines to leasing companies as soon as
the ashtray gets dirty.

The US is now 4 major RRs, plus a bunch of healthy regionals.
UP and BNSF west of the Mississippi, and NS + CSX east of Big Muddy.

UP = UP +SP
BNSF = CB+Q, Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Santa Fe
NS = Norfolk + Western, NKP, Southern, Seaboard, ACL.
CSX = B+O, C+O, Wabash

We live west of GE Erie, so we see blocks of new engines being
delivered to UP + BNSF every friday night. They line up the week's
production and send them out Friday.

Dave Merchant