[SEL] Buying from McMaster Carr in Oz

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Dec 10 07:19:12 PST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 6:50 AM, Elden DuRand wrote:

> McMaster must have one heck of a warehousing system and jillions of
> items in stock.

That about sums it up, Elden.  Their Los Angeles facility is about
30-40 minutes from here, so when I'm REALLY in a hurry to get
something, I can go to their will-call desk.  It's a BIG place.  And
you know what?  Their prices are not all that bad.

One evening last week I needed some obscure bearings for a magneto.  I
couldn't figure out WHAT I needed and the old numbers just didn't jive
with anything modern.  Within five minutes of visiting the McM-C web
page, my order was placed.  The following morning an old jalopy van
pulled up in front of the house, a guy hops out, hands me a box, and
zooms off.

How many other companies send a guy out in a van to deliver stuff
(besides Dominos)?

Oh, and the bearings?  I don't remember the price, but I think the
total was less than fifteen bucks.  Delivery in twelve hours, and I
didn't have to leave the house.

Rob