[SEL] FMZ Gear - serious reply

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Dec 3 20:09:29 PST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Al Harris wrote:
> Please don't egg them on. The gist of this thread has been totally
> lost/stolen/misappropriated/bent and forgotten. It was about the
> gear I
> need to complete my FMZ.

Hi, Al.
Hopefully the extended exchange will help you in your quest for the
proper gear for your engine.

The following will not solve your dilemma, but will throw some light
on a subject where some have played fast and loose with the words
"never," "always," and "must."

Check out a picture (link below) of Greg Procopchuk's Jacobson
engine.  It's a traditional four cycle engine, with 720 degrees of
crankshaft rotation between firing.  You can't see much detail in the
photo, and on that day I was shooting film, so a better picture is not
readily available.

The CAM GEAR is the big one nearest Greg.  It's also the pump jack
gear.  Although you can't see the gear on the crankshaft, you can tell
it's considerably smaller.  I forget what the ratio is, but I seem to
think it's four-to-one.

As you've probably already figured out, the cam as a few extra lobes.

Link:
http://engines.rustyiron.com/tulare04
Click on the fourteenth menu item from the top.

Good luck finding your gear.
Rob