[SEL] stuck piston

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Wed Aug 6 04:03:20 PDT 2008

---- Jim O'Hagan <jdohagan at comcast.net> wrote:
> J.B. It's kinda rare so I wouldn't want to rupture the cylinder. On the
> other hand the piston WILL come out! The engine is a Field Brundage.

I had to sleeve a headless  cylinder for a friend. He used a grease gun and blew a 3" piece out of the cylinder, then he broke the piston out. I had to braze a 1/4" area at the top of the cylinder to have something to recieve the sleeve, don't want to see you  in the same fix. I do a lot of marine engines, usually stuck bad when they;re stuck. I use a piece of pipe on the skirt, try to press the piston inward first. Once it moves start back out with it. Apply pressure to the piston , if it doesn't move heat the cylinder while pressure is on. If you can't get it in  a press make a frame to go around the cylinder and use a hydraulic jack. Because agrease gun worked on one engine is no guarantee it wlil work on another. I hear stories of how people had a hard time removing a stuck piston then use the same rings, piston, and bore. I've had cylinders that after removing the piston and boring for the sleeve I was still hitting rust at .100"  over .
J.B.