[SEL] O.T. Need 35mm Slide Scanner & Viewer

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Sat Aug 2 19:46:46 PDT 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Paul Maples wrote:

> Hey Gang,
>
> Please forgive me for the O.T. message but I need some help. I have
> about 800 35mm color slides that I made in the early 60's when I was
> in Vietnam. Just out of the blue yesterday one of my old military
> buddies, that I had not seen, or heard from, since the war called me
> and we had a great visit.
>
> He is sending me a CD with all of the pictures he took during the
> war that he has had converted to .jpg files and put them on a CD. He
> ask me for a copy of my pictures. I have been all over this town I
> live in and no one had a 35mm viewer or a 35mm scanner.
>
> Does anyone have a viewer and a scanner that they would be willing
> to sell me so I can transfer my pictures to a CD before the slide
> film disintegrates?
>
> Sorry to bother everyone,
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,
My scanner will do it.  It's an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner.
It's pretty old, so I'm CERTAIN there are a slew of equally capable
scanners on the shelf at your local computer store.

Mine is a typical flat-bed, a little larger than a sheet of paper.
The key is that the cover has a light in it.  When you scan in
negative mode, the light in the TOP turns on, rather than the usual
light that is used for scanning opaque paper.  The scanner also came
with a "frame" into which you can place film or slides.  Without
pulling it out of a drawer, I would guess that it can do 20 or so
slides at a time.

The task seems tedious, but it would be worth the effort to preserve
delicate film.

Rob