[SEL] Famous help

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 13:39:17 PDT 2008

Need some help with the gear water pump on my 1914 Famous.  Does  anyone know
how the brass gear on the moving shaft of the water pump is  attached?  It
appears that it may be a tight fitting steel pin thru the  gear and shaft,
solid, not rolled.  I have hit it a couple of times with a  punch, but it does not
move.  I do not want to hit it too hard before I  know what it is.  I do not
see any signs of a slotted screw head.  I  have a break down of the parts, but
mine only shows the gear on the shaft, not  how it is held. My pump shaft and
housing bushings have worn to the  extent that I need to replace with an
oversize shaft, so the gear has to come  off. This shaft is brass and the bushings
are the brass case.  Interesting,  the fixed shaft is steel and it and the
brass gear are still a tight fit.

Got to get it fixed quick as the first show of the season is next  Saturday!

Thanks,

Tom  Schmutz
Concord,  Va.
germaoamer at AOL.com