[SEL] Help Needed

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Fri Apr 18 16:12:37 PDT 2008

Oh yes Mike, there is much proof.  You've listened to those folks at the
Bostic Center too much who say Lincoln must have been the illigetimate
son of Enloe because he "looked like" Enloe.  If that's the way we
detemine who his father was, then old Abe must be the dad of some of the
Lincoln look alikes that certainly favor him!  In Lincoln's own
handwriting he wrote "I was born Feb. 12, 1809 in Hardin, now the county
of LaRue, Kentucky on the Sinking Spring.  My first recollection is of
the Knob Creek place" (which is also in LaRue County).  The Lincoln
Family Bible, which I've held in my hands and is on display here in
LaRue County, has the entry "born of Thomas and Nancy, Feb. 12, 1809,
Abraham".  Also, Nancy's cousin, Dennis, wrote while Lincoln was running
for political office that he remembered the day Abe was born.  Thomas
ran to him and exclaimed that Nancy had just had a baby boy.  Dennis
lived about a mile from the Sinking Spring Farm.  The Bostic Center
folks claim that Abe was Enloe's illigetimate son and there was no proof
that Nancy and Thomas had even married yet when Abe was born.  However,
the marriage license of Thomas and Nancy, dated June 1806, is on file at
the Washington County Courthouse here in Kentucky.  Also, there are
ledger entries from the Haycraft store in Elizabethtown, KY showing
Thomas and Nancy buying goods there prior to their purchase of the
Sinking Spring farm and moving to it.  Much, much proof pointing to
where Lincoln was born, and it wasn't NC.  Hey, I've researched this
stuff as much as I have the old iron!

Tommy Turner