[SEL] Crankshaft extending

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 12:36:16 PDT 2007

On 12/09/2007, Best, George <George_Best at adp.com> wrote:
> I've got an engine where someone took a hacksaw and shortened the
> crankshaft for some reason.  Maybe it stuck out too far and they didn't
> want to use a belt pulley on it.

For some reason, the Ruston & Hornsby crankshafts seem overly wide,
making our engine as wide as it is long, and there are two that I know
of that have had the shafts cut shorter by up to 6" a side and faced
off.

Regarding extending it again, the popular way over here is to bore and
tap the end of the crankshaft within a stepped hole and face to use as
a register, then make up the piece accurately to screw into that
thread and tighten up to the register face. Welding is an option, but
if you loctite the thread and if it is made accurately, that will last
as long as the engine.

The R&H 1ZHR crankshaft is 2-5/8" diameter at the flywheel mountings.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com