[SEL] Babbitt Lapping Compound

Jack Watson nadejack at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 31 16:43:51 PDT 2007

Richard Strobel wrote:
>   Howdy;
> Heard about this for quite some time now from a friend, who's friend uses it
> on Model A's and such.
>
>   Has anyone tried this and if so, did you have the warm fuzzy feelin'?
>
> http://www.newmantools.com/lapping/time.htm
>
> RickinMt.
===
This (or similar) was around here, in Australia, in the 1950s when I was
an apprentice in a powerhouse.

The old tradesmen preferred to hand-scrape the white-metal (babbit)
bearings, which they could do much more quickly. However I experimented
with it later when I had a power house of my own, but it was slow,
especially as I took special precautions to wash all remnants away
afterwards.

I believe the abrasive material was pumice.

JW²
===