[SEL] O/T Steam main bearing babbitt

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Oct 5 08:13:39 PDT 2007

Good point Orrin,, yes we purge both plus the valve chest for quite a while
before closing any of the valves.  We get a lot of condensate out of the
valve chest and lower cylinder drain.  Course they have to heat up more iron
as opposed to the top.  I've seen the results of hydrostatic lockup on a
cylinder...ouch!! And we keep them open during initial startup and only
closed when we're assured that we have fairly dry steam...and I use that
term loosely :-)

Thanks much
Rick