[SEL] O/T Steam main bearing babbitt

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Oct 5 04:40:27 PDT 2007

Joe, we've ran it on air and steam. With steam the knocks are very
obnoxious.  To be honest, I don't recall it on air.
  Here's the deal on our timing.  Please keep in mind the eccentric is keyed
to the crankshaft and eccentric has two keyways with setscrew.  I assume the
two positions are for forward and reverse.  There is no reverser lever on
this engine.

  So we centered the piston in it's throw and adjusted the slide "D" valve
linkage so that the throw was equal on both centers.  This automatically set
the lead/lag/cushion which in turn opens the ports when the crankshaft is
past it's centers.  This is not right but we don't know how to change
it...other than elimate the key on the eccentric and just use the setscrew
so we get a "lead."

  We don't have a good book now on timing a stationary.  One is on order and
the other we'll get at Rollag steam school next year.

  I find the governor feature you mentioned very interesting.  We have not
loaded the engine yet nor "put it on the gov." so to speak.

  Gotta be something simple...hell, I might be turning the engine the wrong
direction.

  Very soon the setup will be going into the shed as winter is arriving way
too soon...and then back to the drawing board...."steam 101 fer dummies."

  Thanks much Joe...ya got me thinkin' which is a scary thought in itself.

  Many thanks also to Ken, Curt, Dave, and Peter.  I have re-read all your
posts..hopefully it will sink in.

  Sorry to garbage up the SEL, the steam list is pretty dead nowdays.

  RickinMt.

Subject: Re: [SEL] O/T Steam main bearing babbitt