[SEL] How do I tell Babbitt from Lead?

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Tue Oct 2 17:31:37 PDT 2007

Alan,
    Lead is much softer than babbitt.  Babbitt is an alloy potentially
containing nickel, tin, copper, etc.  You can take a pocket knife and
easily "shave" the edge of a chunk of lead.  With babbitt, its not so
easy.  I'm sure there is some type of density test that could be done to
determine the make up of your material.  Melting point is possibly
another way to tell as pure lead would be considerably lower than
babbitt (I would think).

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY