[SEL] Witte Diesel followed me home !!

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 29 16:25:06 PST 2007

The 12 hp Witte is similar to the Arrow Engine Company CD generator
engine --  www.arrowspecialty.com.  These generating systems are still in use.

I have a 12hp with 8kva generator.  These engines may have a radiator
cooling system with a large tub-shaped casting that mounts on top of
the cylinder and a radiator mounted on the casting.  Belt drive fan
from a pulley that bolts on a flywheel.  Or they can have an external
cooling system of some type -- my engine had the radiator casting but
had been plumbed for external water supply.  I have since installed a
Susuki Samari radiator and electric fan.

The flywheel in one of your pictures seems somewhat less massive than
the ones on my engine.  Might suggest the engine was not used for
electrical generation -- I don't know.

At any rate, they are a fun old piece of heavy iron and the "chug -
chug" is a delight to hear.  Several Wittes were on display at Tulare
a few years back -- mostly the smaller ones.

Bob Holtzer, Sacramento, CA