[SEL] Slightly OT: Screen resolutions and brightness/contrast

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Nov 26 06:28:10 PST 2007

You can keep DPI down to under 100, which helps in FILE SIZE (more
important than image view size for those still on dial-up which is still a
large percentage in the states!)
If it's going to be printed, 300DPI is as good as is needed unless there
are special requests. Most printers still default to 300 and it's really
"pretty good" for ordinary print viewing.

I simply avoid sites with large images.
On the sites and forums I maintain, I still assume that the typical
audience  won't have cable bandwidth speeds and is probably over 40 years
old so using resolutions of no more than 1024 x yyy.

On theAMCForum.com we try to keep folks to keep images down to under 800
wide for easier forum use and viewing - a courtesy. Avoid horizontal
scrolling at all costs......... university studies show it's a huge
turn-off and makes a site harder to view.

Brightness - you have to experiment and just ask folks, or use different
monitors. Try a notebook running on batteries, try a desktop with both CRT
and flat type displays.

Bill
Runnells, Iowa  USA
http://antique-engines.com
http://theamcpages.com
http://theamcforum.com (webmaster, administrator of the fastest growing
forum for fans of AMC, Nash, Hudson, Jeep, Rambler, Wheelhorse, etc.)