[SEL] Letter to the Editor - TOMM

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 03:18:39 PST 2007

As in most things, there are two sides to a discussion and we should
all try and look at the other side's point of view.

I agree that it is always nice to keep 'heritage' items (to use Tom's
expression) in context in their country of use, and if that is an
issue for the Australians and New Zealanders then they should take
steps to buy such items in the free market and retain them. Just
issuing a Govt edict that they should not be exported, without putting
their own money up simply isn't going to work, and doesn't in my view.

I don't agree with all of Arnie's view of dealers. They are NOT all
the same and some have done considerable damage in their transactions,
but as a generalisation, they are part of the problem.

Rare items in any country will be sought after, and it is up to the
individuals or Govt's of that country to put their money up or shut
up. If they don't, then they can expect to see items going overseas,
just as we in the UK have seen lots of our own engines etc going
abroad.

The Pound is probably higher in value against most currencies at
present, but we don't seem to see a big influx of engines, possibly as
we seem to see overseas prices being a bit inflated anyway?

I personally don't feel that labelling any item as 'Heritage' makes it
either more valuable or collectable or worth holding on to. It is a
label, nothing else. True value can only be determined in an auction
sale where those who want it most will pay the most.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com