[SEL] Taralga

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Nov 21 22:32:51 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 7:54 PM, David Rotigel wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
> 	Nice set of pictures! I notice that the Allen had a flame on the
> bulb, but appeared to be running at a pretty good clip. Is that
> typical of an Allen engine, or simply that the engine was under no
> great load? Was that engine about 6 HP?
> 	Dave

Hi Dave,
Although this doesn't exactly answer your question, perhaps it will be
of help.  Allan Brothers made the earlier "continuous lamp" engine,
then later made their "lamp start" engine.  If you need me to explain
the difference, let me know.

The continuous lamp had a characteristic "cake pan" air inlet.  The
lamp start engine has a more traditional "Hornsby-shaped" vaporizer
and the unique "donut-shaped" air inlet, although it is missing on the
engine pictured.

Rob