[SEL] How to Straighten Spoke in Cart Wheel

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Mar 27 04:59:30 PDT 2007

I bet it takes less to straighten it than you would imagine.
It should not be brittle, and you have not got that far to bend it.
The ideas presented are ones I've used a number of time, plus:
Get some aluminum to act at a "pad" and place it around the spoke.
Put a pipe wrench over the spoke and push sideways on the wrench - it's
possible you can simply bend it back this way.
I've done as much straightening with pipe wrenches as I have taken pipes
loose. It's one reason I have the long heavy wrenches I do....... I'm not
a plumber. The aluminum will protect the spoke from the serrated jaws of
the wrench. You are using it as a lever to "push" down on the bend. This
method CAN lead to a bend in the wrong place if not done carefully or the
wrench is placed in the wrong spot.
But the hammer method is more accurate and directed. That's where I'd
start in this case. I'd back it up with a small chunk of rail (train track
type rail) I keep on hand for such occasions.

Bill
Runnells, Iowa
Chapman/OWE&PCo. Registry and History
http://antique-engines.com