[SEL] White metal to bronze question

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Tue Mar 20 09:26:06 PDT 2007

Russell:

If you can get the big end into a lathe or mill, most of the critical work is easy.  Beings I've never rebabbitted a bearing (scraped in a set of mains on my American LaFrance a few years ago), I might give some wrong advice.

To make the babbitt stick to the bronze, first clean up the surfaces with sandpaper, etc. and use a good solder flux and tin the bearings with babbitt until the surfaces are completely covered.

To keep the babbitt from sticking to the mandrel, one way is to use an acetylene torch with no oxygen to smoke the mandrel.  Babbitt won't stick to the carbon.

Before pouring the bearing, make up several shims so you can take-up wear in the bearing in the future.  I suppose you'd be good to go with about 0.030" or so of shims.  Then, assemble the bearing with the shims.

If you can easily machine the new babbitt to fit the journal, you can leave a gap of 1/8 inch or so between the mandrel and the bearing.  This will allow the white metal to flow to all parts of the bearing.  Also, you need to heat the bearing to very near the melting temperature of the babbitt so the poured metal will fuse to the tin coating.

After the whole works has cooled, machine to fit.

Take care - Elden
edurand at mchsi.com
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand