[SEL] White metal to bronze question

Russell Gilbert russell at ncable.com.au
Tue Mar 20 04:08:40 PDT 2007

Howdy ya all.
I want to have a go of fixing the bearing gap (if you like) in the
big Graham engine I have. It runs fine but has a little jump in the
crank shaft in the bearings itself on the compression stroke. So yes
they are warn, but not major or it does look like a major problem
anyway. Some of my past engines have actually had a very thin layer
of white metal placed on the original bronze bearings so I thought I
could do the same thing. I have plenty of white metal. Just have
never used it before. How would I go about melting the white metal
and attaching it to the bronze bearings. I imagine I would clamp the
bearings together and put something similar in size to my crank shaft
inside. Melt the white metal and pour! But I need to prep the bronze
surface area first ... Yes? How would that be done? second when I
pour the metal ...... should the bronze be preheated at all? and what
should I use to on the shaft bit so the metal doesn't stick to it
when I remove it from the set casting?
I have never done this stuff before so I will probably stuff
something up but one will not learn if one does not have a go.  In
case some of you are wondering how big the gap I trying to fill is
.... I would have a guess to say about the thickness of 2 to 3 playing cards.
regards Russell

Russell Gilbert
Sunny Sunraysia
russell at ncable.com.au