[SEL] Attention Aussies - Austral Question

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Sun Mar 11 13:27:54 PDT 2007

G'day Edd,

I'm keenly interested in the Austral experience that you relate below and
I'd like to do some experimenting with Dave's 11 hp Austral.  Assuming
that is that I can bring him around to our government's philosophy "If it
ain't broken, keep fixing it till it is."  8-))

If I'm understanding correctly, the main ignition coil goes in the center
chamber and a starting coil goes into the lower chamber.  Is that correct?

When you are referring to 22g and 8g steel, I'm assuming that you're
referring to sheet metal gage; i.e. 22ga = 0.031" thk and
8ga = 0.168" thk.  Is that correct?  Have you seen any significant
difference between using ordinary carbon steel and stainless steel?

When you refer to using stainless steel mesh, what are you using that for?
And is it something like a chunk of pot scrubber?

Would you share the "design" of your Austral ignition and starting coils?
Overall dimensions, number of turns, etc.  Are you using the stock coil
housing?

Thanks mate!!  As it sits, Dave's 11 hp Austral will run for about 30
minutes when the lamp is turned off so I'm guessing that it wouldn't take
much to improve things to "all day running."

BTW, what hp is your Austral; 5 hp?

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA USA