[SEL] Attention Aussies - Austral Question

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Sat Mar 10 07:11:53 PST 2007

G'day Patrick,

Thanks for the Blackstone pic.  As always, when one has to work from
pictures, this raises a number of additional questions.

Your Blackstone is a pretty awesome restoration project BTW!!  8-))
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/blackstonemain.html

Can you talk me through the "and the magic happens here" bit with regard
to that vaporizer?  Even with the sectioned view its not absolutely clear
how things flow.  Let me describe what I think is happening and perhaps
you can put me back on the rails when I run off?

As you face the engine, the initial atomized air/kero mix enters the outer
chamber from the left.  When the vapor valve (located on the right side)
is operated it allows transfer from the outer chamber to the inner
central chamber.  As we've discussed, that mix is too rich to ignite.  The
mix moves into the head via the timing valve, mixes with more air, and
comes back into the vaporizer again on compression via the timing valve to
be ignited.

I think the ignition coil is in the main central chamber, correct?  What
is in that connected lower chamber (with the side rusted out)?
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myengines/blackstone/03091511.JPG

On the Austral, the timing valve is located nearest to the head and is
horizontal.  The vapor valve comes in from the top and the air/kero gets
sucked in from the side.  Then there's what looks to be an upper and a
lower chamber, each of which has some bits screwed in.  Rob, which is the
ignition coil case; upper or lower (upper I think)?  And what's the other
one?  There's also a pair of plugs screwed in to the vaporizer; one in
the "front" and one in the "rear top" above the timing valve.  Any
thoughts on those?

Thanks!!

See ya,  Arnie