[SEL] OT Silver-steel wire.

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Sat Jun 23 07:27:52 PDT 2007

On Jun 23, 2007, at 6:46 AM, Frank DeWitt wrote:

> Sorry about the off topic but someone here knows everything.
>
> I am working on a Synchronome master clock and I need to build a
> part.  It calls for .031 Silver Steel wire.  The wire needs to be
> flattened on one end, and be bent, and stay bent. The forces on it
> once bent and installed are very low
>
> My problem is I don't know what silver-steel wire is or where to
> get it. Is jewelers silver wire actually silver steel?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Frank,
I'm no metalurgist, but I'll pretend to know something in this
instance.  Silver Steel is a colloquialism for high-carbon steel.
Piano wire is high carbon steel.  I just checked the garage, and all
my piano wire is 0.022".  We use it for making plumb bobs that you
hang from the top of an elevator shaft and hang a ten pound fish
plate at the bottom.  It's tough stuff.

If you can use some, I can stick some in an envelope.  I'm sure
McMaster-Carr would have exactly the diameter you need.  It's not
expensive.

Rob