[SEL] Oil Question

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Mon Jun 18 18:26:18 PDT 2007

Jim, this typically happens when the oil is working in boundary layer
lubrication conditions. The metal parts are separated by a film of oil,
but the microscopic peaks of the metal surfaces protrude through the
oil and come in contact with each other, causing friction and tiny
pieces of metal breaking off and going into suspension in the oil.
Those suspended particles look black. They also act as oxidizing
catalysts producing pigmented hydrocarbon derivatives, and if the
moving parts have much pressure on them, the opposing peaks weld
together momentarily and break apart producing localized hot spots that
can produce free carbon and metallic carbides. Really hot.

A graduate of Bob's Quantum School of Mechanics might be able to
mathematically explain the intense local concentration of heat in
relatively cool running bearings (think of the application of the total
frictional heat dissipation over the vanishingly tiny part of the total
area that's actually occupied by these tiny peaks and you'd be on the
right track), but John Fankhauser's "Magic" explanation works quite
well enough.

John

On Jun 18, 2007, at 8:30 PM, JIM KIRKES wrote:

> I was recently at a show next to a hot air engine with lots of
> linkage.  The owner and I got to talking and we wound up with a oil
> question.
> when the linkage is oiled it later weeps out black even though their
> is no combustion nearby and it is in a clean location.  The things
> that were lubed were a steel pin through a brass link. Why does the
> oil turn black when dirt does not appear to be a factor?
>
> Jim and Diane Kirkes

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA