[SEL] Gear Lube for Power Bandsaw/info wanted on steam lube vs.

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:26:00 PDT 2007

Thanks to all of the SEL folks who attended the Classic Iron show.  Sorry
that I didn't get over to visit much.  I did manage to keep pretty busy
though.  I would be careful about using words like "notable" and "guru" when
referring to me if I were you.  As explained to me at the Pawnee Steam
School, the primary thing that makes Steam Cylinder Oil special is the
addition of animal fat to the formula.  Beef tallow is usually used.  The
addition of the tallow allows the oil to emulsify with the steam.  Cyl oil
is injected ahead of the throttle.  Injecting the oil here allows it to
lubricate the throttle valve, governor, slide valve, and piston.  One of the
ways that we confirm that oil is being injected and emulisified is to check
the condensate from the cylinder cocks.  Condensate should be milky and look
like coffee with a lot of creamer in it.