[SEL] Tachograph

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Jun 11 11:07:53 PDT 2007

tachograph: AKA "tattletale", "Big Brother" and some names not fit for
print. The OLD units were just a paper chart machine that recorded the
speed and RPM levels of the rig while you were driving. Some also were
the speedometer in the unit and were mounted on the dash. Others were
mounted out of the way and didn't have an external speed display. They
were a locked unit and the key was held by a "trusted" employee of the
company. They would unlock the unit, remove the chart and spray it with
a lacquer spray and file it away for the big boss to look at.

The next generation used a paper tape so they didn't need to be changed
as often.

Then came the semi electronic units that stored the information on
special tapes.

Then the memory recorders that used GPS information.

The current version is built into the trucks on board computer system
and records a LOT of information. From speed, rpm range, gear usage,
brake applications, and idle time, to last service and amount of time
stopped and when.

Then if you REALLY want them to watch over you get a job with an outfit
that uses SatLink gear. With it they can tell all the above in real
time, AND as a bonus they have two way communication with you.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York