[SEL] Tachograph

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 11:05:08 PDT 2007

On 11/06/07, Bruce Younger <sluggo54 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> "...and tachograph (required when towing a trailer commercially)"
>

> Awrighty - what's a tachograph?  I can imagine, but would rather hear it
> from you so I understand it.
>

> Bruce Younger

Records speed and distance travelled, also which one of two possible drivers.

The existing van has a car radio-sized Kienzle tacho with recording
disc, a treated paper disc which the machine writes to physically when
you are travelling. These are not so good in a prang as the pens come
off the disc surface when subjected to hi G-forces in an accident.

The previous can had the standard 5" tacho in place of the speedo and
was cable driven, all the new ones are electronic.

The new digital tacho's take a credit-card sized memory card which the
data is written to.

I don't have all the info yet, but apparently we have to register
somewhere to get one of the new cards, and they have to be kept for so
many years....

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes