[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Jun 5 06:10:06 PDT 2007

Peter no flames here.
While I'd agree, there's also other things to consider - while the gas
here is cheaper than "there", we do pay more for other things, let's
compare drug and medical costs, insurance costs, etc. so I suspect it all
balances out.
And perhaps we'd not "bi ch" so much if it snuck up on us, or wasn't done
in an underhanded way.
If it had slowly kept pace with inflation and other costs........
Funny, we had the large surge in prices, but did it stop folks from
driving this past holiday? Not really. Oh, some, yeah, but in general,
folks said the traffic was "as heavy as usual for the holiday" - at least
where we were.

People wonder why I'm getting these cars......... two reasons:
They are classic/collector cars and like our engines, they will appreciate
in value some-what, they will be worth more when restored, however, the
biggest factor for my wife ->
They will be CHEAPER to drive than our current newer vehicles. These
Eagles can get 30 mpg for the SX/4 (5 speed stick) and mid-20's for the
wagon (automatic).
Show me a SUV with the strength and power of these that will do that. Take
the same money you'd make on payments for a new car or suv and apply that
to these and in a couple of years, you could do a frame-up total
restoration and add EFI, etc.
Imagine, a sporty 4 wheel drive hatchback that would get typical mid-20s
for mileage, and 30 on a highway trip.
Put a receiver on that wagon it will pull the same load as a Jeep
Cherokee, after-all, these are what the later Jeeps are based on! So I
could have a 4x4 tow vehicle getting mid 20's.

Yeah, the young female who drives a HUMMER to go to the grocery store for
a single sack of groceries, and is the only person in the vehicle. Makes
perfect sense...... we parked next to her last week while we filled our
compact Jeep Liberty to the brim with multiple sacks on our way home from
commuting to work together - car pooling.
But I guess, that's her right.

Anyway, no I won't flame ya, there's other things that are cheaper there,
things that are cheaper here.
I wonder - what about the price of engines?
What are some common ones that we can compare??

Bill
Runnells, Iowa
Chapman/OWE&PCo. Registry and History
http://antique-engines.com